Allegations of Abuse in Institutions


St John of God - Marylands - Index


2006/1 - The trial of Bernard McGrath

 




Stuff
March 2 2006

Illness delays former teacher's sex abuse trial
NZPA

Former Marylands brother Bernard Kevin McGrath has been admitted to hospital and his trial on sex abuse charges in the High Court at Christchurch has been adjourned to Monday.

Justice Chisholm told the jury of 58-year-old McGrath's illness when it assembled for the ninth day of the trial today.

"It is not possible to continue the trial in his absence so I regret that you have come in this morning to hear this," he said.

Seven indecency charges have been dropped against the former brother at Christchurch's Marylands School.

Crown prosecutor Chris Lange said the prosecution would abandon seven of the charges, after the evidence of the 16 complainants had been completed. The complainants' evidence had failed to support those charges and in one case the complainant did not give evidence.

McGrath was originally charged with 54 offences including touching, oral sex, inducing indecent acts, and sodomising boys at the school when he was a teacher and dormitory master there in the 1970s.

When the trial began on February 20 he pleaded guilty to one charge.

McGrath now faces the remaining 46 charges to which he has pleaded not guilty.